2006/08/15

Rising crime rate, degrading public security

We have created another “boleh”(capability) in Malaysia now.

Crime “boleh”! The crime rate of our country has been rising dramatically, unofficially in the past few years, according to the intuition and experience of the public.

In 1997, two weeks before I went to further my studies in China, my handbag has been snatched away near my house. I lost my newly bought Sony digital tape recorder.

In April 2004, before national election, my car window of front passenger seat has been smashed after I came back from an assignment, luckily, I did not put valuable things in the car. It costed me RM240++ to fix the window.

In July 2004, my mum’s handbag was snatched away by a robber who shown his knife while she was waiting for my father at a bus stop. She was injured because the robber pushed her to the floor after he got her handbag.

Most of my friends in Journalism have scary experience being robbed. My ex-colleague in NanyangSiangPau even lost her life……

Recently, my friend sent me an email telling me how worse the public security in Malaysia is. Another friend who just graduated from Hong Kong has been robbed on the second day after she arrived in Kuala Lumpur.

I will be back soon. I don’t want to be one of the victims, though I was; I don’t want to lose my laptop, my personal belongings and important documents.

I feel shame if I ask my foreign friends to come over to travel in Malaysia now, because I do not know how to protect them from all these things. Perhaps the Minister of Tourism will be very angry if he saw this article. We have lovely forests, beaches and delicious food, but I don’t want my friends who come from abroad to be the victim of robbery or rape.

Everybody is blaming on the inefficiency of the police force, but I am so disappointed as our government does not have a strong political will to reform our police force according to the recommendation of Police Royal Commission, including the formation of Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC). At the same time I will plead for our police force: Please increase their salaries and welfare.

In theory, underpay should not be an excuse for them to be demoralized, however even factory workers are fighting for a basic salary as much as RM900, how can we expect those policemen to work hard with a basic salary which is only RM800 ?!! In reality, if they have no enough money to survive and raise their family, we can only continue to see how they arrest prostitutes who are harmless instead of cold-blooded armed-robbers.

More or less, we have to believe that those robbers will not become a robber or drug-addicted if they have a proper job or have been given a chance to stand up by themselves in the society. What’s wrong with our development policy? Some people just simply get too much, but some get nothing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had read thestar this afternoon, some PJ SS17 residents gate their road and engage security to patrol for 24 hours. However, the state council member said its against the law, the MBPJ member said the something, it results traffic jammed, is nevertheless a fact.

How our honourable police response? "crime also occurred due to residents’ negligence. " This is typical answer we can get from police, blame the people but not the armed police or the executive power.

Its quite upset that our people are used to the incapable excuse, they never believe police nor government can protect them away from hurt and death in this crime everywhere surroundings.

This is the time for malaysian to rethink the social contract, insist that "people are bosses", goverment must cope with this issue with resolution and strong political will to win voter's heart.

Empower the people should be the common goal of NGO or opposition party (its actually also government's duty), sad creates nothing, do act, changes could only happen when social movement is grassrooted.

Anonymous said...

What are you ready to do?
I feel so sad and disappointed to current Malaysia. I wonder what we can do to the authorities. One thing that we must do is advise our friends to be very careful. Malaysia is no longer a safe country. We chinese are experiencing another "discrimination" which is about so-called the rich and the poor. We are the Victims now. Can anybody tell me anything pulished in Malay or Tamil newspaper regarding about robbery and raping?

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »