2006/07/25

Trip to Colchester 22/7-23/7















It takes one hour to Colchester by train--I took my first train in the UK.It was a visit to my idol friend-ChinHuat, who is currently studying in University of Essex. It was a pleasant visit to him and his friends- all of them are knowledgeable and gracious.

On the day I arrived, we visited to the Victorian funfair held at St Botolph's Church and Priory. I saw people who dressed up themselves in Victorian customes, I felt like went back to 200 years ago. We also joined the anti-war protest organised by his friend. I think probably they organised the protest in rush, or maybe most of the supporters have joined the demonstration in London, not many people turned up.

On the way back to his house, we passed by a golden wheat field and a woodland everytime, the scenery was really amazing, it reminded me of the tree spirits in the movie "The Lord of the Ring".

I met a new friend, Tim, who launched a "Save Our Bus Station campaign" early this year, which opposed against the demolition of the bus station to give way to an Art gallery project. Due to some political reasons, he concluded that "the campaign has failed, because the government has approved the project. " From the way he spoke, I could see that he is very frustrated and disappointed.

He drove us to the countryside with picturesque sunset scenery around Dedham, Lawford, Manningtree, Mistley, River Stour...... It reminded me of the countryside in Devon.....I never had any special impression about the scenery in UK, until I went to the countryside with sheep pasture that time.

I also went to the induction session of Essex Summer School in Social Science Data Analysis and Collection. We met two Chinese from China who work for an Australia-based HIV/AIDS research centre in China, I think their job is really meaningful. The courses are quite expensive, however, I think if I have enough money, I will enrol some of the courses in the future.

My friend is an active thinker, we have several discussions on current issues, ideology, etc. It was a brainstorming and fruitful experience for me. #

1 comment:

Russia said...

照片很棒啊。。。你瘦了﹗
不繳稅。。。不太可能﹗
加油。。。。。。。。。。