2006/07/01

Great Yarmouth - Not so horrible!





Guess, what is Yarmouth Rock?

Answer: It is a kind of sweet made in Great Yarmouth. How does it look like? Just like a colourful stick, with different types of favour!

I went to Great Yarmouth finally, Amy and Rob drove me there. Why was I so curious about the place ? First, my friend who went there said it is horrible. Second, my lecturer said it used to be a famous beach in the 1960s, however, when the people here become richer and can afford to go abroad, it become abandoned and horrible! Third, my british colleague in the hospital also told me it is really horrible. That's why I went there, to see how horrible it is !

We took about 50 minutes to get there. I saw cows, sheep and windmills on the way there.

We shopped at Regent Road, which is the busiest place in the town. I bought some Yarmouth Rock and dognuts recommended by my colleague. We had our lunch in a restaurant. I like the fish and chips there very much. Yummy! I can tell the difference between fried-fresh-fish and the fried-fridge-fish now.

Yarmouth beach is not so attractive compared to the beaches in Malaysia. However, it was also interesting to see the people here laid down in the sun to get burn like lobsters!

On the way back, we went to a countryside- Irstead. There is a 14th century built church, covered with thatch roof- Church of St Michael's. Lovely, nice to see those new things again!
#

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Siew Shuen

What beautiful pictures!

As you mentioned the history of tourism in Great Yamouth, Jeju has been suffered from the similar reason since 1997, the crisis of IMF. Most of Korean prefer to East Asian, not Jeju in the case of cost. In the same vein, the numbers of international visitors has been reduced.


So, I not sure what is benefit regarding to international tourism, and I also not sure how to balance international tourism and local tourism.

Take Care

Su yeon